Table of Contents


601A 2023 2024 asylum BIA Biden Bond Case Law CAT checklist citizenship court COVID criminal DACA Data EAD EOIR FAQ fees FOIA green card how to I-751 inadmissibility interview motions news NYC Parole Policy policy update Politics SCOTUS SIJS Template TPS travel update USCIS U visa Video Visa waiver webex

Recent Posts

< All Topics

N-400, Application for Naturalization

Application for Naturalization for U.S. Citizenship

Form:  N-400                  Online: Online application is available but not required

Filing Fee: $640         Biometrics Fee: $85 biometrics fee  (Total Fee: $725)

Do not send original documents unless specifically requested.

TRANSLATIONS:   If you submit any documents (copies or original documents, if requested) in a foreign language, you must include a full English translation along with a certification from the translator verifying that the translation is complete and accurate, and that the translator is competent to translate from the foreign language to English.

Required Documents For All Applicants:

🗹 A copy of your Permanent Resident Card (or copy of Form I-90 filing receipt if you lost your resident

🗹 Photocopy of the applicant’s current legal marital status document, if applicable (e.g.; marriage
certificate, divorce, annulment decree, or death certificate of former spouse);

🗹 A money order payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security” for current filing fee and biometric
fee ($725 as of September 2023).

Applicants 75 years of age or older are exempted from the biometrics services fee.

If you are applying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen, send the following 4 items:

🗹 1.  Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for the last 3 years:
a. Birth certificate (if your spouse never lost citizenship since birth); or
b. Certificate of Naturalization; or
c. Certificate of Citizenship; or
d. The inside of the front cover and signature page of your spouse’s current U.S. passport; or
e. Form FS-240, Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America; and

🗹 2. Your current marriage certificate; and

🗹 3. Proof of termination of all prior marriages of your spouse (divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death
certificate(s)); and

🗹 4. Documents referring to you and your spouse:

a. Tax returns, bank accounts, leases, mortgages, or birth certificates of children; or

b. Internal Revenue Service (IRS)-certified copies of the income tax forms that you both filed for the past 3 years; or

c. An IRS tax return transcript for the last 3 years.

If You Are Outside the U.S.:

🗹 Two passport-style photographs

If Applying Based on Military Service:

🗹 A copy of your official military orders;

🗹 DD Form 214, NGB Form 22, or discharge orders (if separated from service);

🗹 Form N-426, Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service;

If You Are Applying Under INA 319(b):

Evidence of your citizen spouse’s employment abroad (if applying under INA 319(b))