Table of Contents
< All Topics

Asylee Petition for Spouse and/or Child, Form I-730

A principal refugee admitted to the United States within the past 2 years or a principal asylee who was granted asylum within the past 2 years, may use the Form I-730 to petition for a spouse or child. Petitioning in this context meaning to request that a spouse or an unmarried child under 21 years of age join the principal asylee in the United States.

In certain circumstances, unmarried adult sons/daughters over 21 years of age may be eligible for following-to-join immigration benefits if they fall within the protections set forth in the Child Status Protection Act. In some cases, USCIS may grant a waiver of the 2-year filing deadline for humanitarian reasons as explained in the Instructions for Form I-730.

Catholic Legal Immigration Network, Inc. made a guide for Form I-730 that you can find here. Just keep in mind that the guide is from 2019 and there have been some changes to policy and procedure since then. Double check the USCIS website to make sure you read the information on the USCIS I-730 information page. Also, a link to the official USCIS instructions is provided below.