Petitioning for Relatives

PETITIONING FOR RELATIVES  Type of Relative for Whom You May Petition Immigration Benefit Related Forms Spouse Children (unmarried and under 21) Sons and daughters (married and/or 21 or over) Parents, if you are 21 or over Siblings, if you are 21 or over Green Card (permanent residence) Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative Form I-485, … Read morePetitioning for Relatives

Bona Fide Marriage Exemption

Non-citizens who marry U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents while in removal proceedings must show by clear and convincing evidence that the marriage was entered into in good faith. See INA § 245(e)(3). What is commonly called, “the bona fide marriage exemption” must be requested in writing and submitted with Form I-130. See 8 C.F.R. § 204.2(a)(1)(iii)(A). The request must state … Read moreBona Fide Marriage Exemption

How Petition to Bring a Family Member to the U.S.

As a citizen of the United States, you may help a relative become a lawful permanent resident of the United States by obtaining what is often referred to as a “Green Card.” To do so, you need to sponsor your relative and be able to prove that you have enough income or assets to support … Read moreHow Petition to Bring a Family Member to the U.S.

Crime Victim Visa (U Visa)

A CRIME VICTIM CAN POTENTIALLY GET A VISA, AND EVENTUALLY LEGAL PERMANENT RESIDENCY, BASED ON THEIR COOPERATION WITH THE POLICE OR DISTRICT ATTORNEY’S OFFICE. To make sure that immigration laws do not discourage immigrants in the U.S. without lawful immigration status from cooperating with law enforcement or reporting crime, Congress created the U nonimmigrant visa with the … Read moreCrime Victim Visa (U Visa)

Religious Worker (R) Visa


Legal Authorities For A Religious Worker Eligibility Requirements For a Religious Worker Religious Worker Adjustment of Status Eligibility Requirements The applicant has been inspected and admitted or inspected and paroled into the United States. The applicant is physically present in the United States at the time of filing and adjudication of an adjustment application. The applicant is eligible to … Read moreReligious Worker (R) Visa


INA 245i

WHAT IS SECTION 245(I) OF THE IMMIGRATION AND NATIONALITY ACT? Section 245(i) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) allows certain noncitizens physically present in the United States to adjust status to a lawful permanent resident despite being ineligible to adjust status under INA 245(a) because they entered the United States without inspection, violated their nonimmigrant … Read more245(i)

Contacting the National Visa Center

How to contact the National Visa Center (NVC) By Email This is the National Visa Center’s preferred method of communication. You can email the National Visa Center for your case status at **To ensure a prompt response, use your National Visa Center 13-digit case number or USCIS Receipt Number in the subject line of the email. Within the … Read moreContacting the National Visa Center

Calculating CSPA Age (NEW POLICY)

NEW USCIS POLICY FOR CALCULATING AGE UNDER THE CHILD STATUS PROTECTION ACT (CSPA) SEE UPDATE POSTED ON THE USCIS WEBSITE, FEBRUARY 14, 2023. USCIS issued updated guidance regarding when an immigrant visa number “becomes available” for the purpose of calculating a noncitizen’s age under the Child Status Protection Act (CSPA).  Prior to this, USCIS considered a child’s age “frozen” if a visa … Read moreCalculating CSPA Age (NEW POLICY)