Visa Petitions for Siblings

 Petitioning for a sibling to get their permanent residency in the U.S.

Visas for siblings of U.S. citizens are not available through the Immediate Relative (IR) category. Instead, siblings are considered Family Preference relatives and may be eligible for a family preference visa.

The Family Preference category is divided into four subcategories, and siblings fall under the fourth preference (F4) category. The F4 category has a numerical limit, which means that the wait time for a visa to become available can be several years. The F4 category is also subject to country-based quotas, which can further delay the availability of visas depending on the demand from a particular country.

To sponsor a sibling for a family preference visa, the U.S. citizen sponsor must file a Petition for Alien Relative (Form I-130). Once the petition is approved, the sibling will be placed in a waiting list and notified when a visa becomes available.

It's important to note that the wait time for a sibling visa can be lengthy, and the sibling must meet certain eligibility requirements, such as being unmarried and over the age of 21. As with any visa process, it's recommended to consult with an immigration attorney for guidance and assistance with the specific circumstances of your case.